MANILA, Philippines - When you think of Boracay, you think of the parties, great sunsets, the blue sea, restaurants and bars, and overcrowded weekends. All these make Boracay what it is — a gorgeous island, albeit with drawbacks like narrow streets and flooding. But we keep coming back to Boracay because it is simply beautiful.
Called Boracay Newcoast, it’s a tourism estate being developed by Global-Estate Resorts, Inc. (GERI), a subsidiary of property tycoon Andrew Tan’s Megaworld Corporation.
Boracay Newcoast makes up 12 percent of the island, and developing 150 hectares as a township ensures avoiding the mistakes and irreversible consequences of poor planning.
Boracay Newcoast’s masteplan calls for 60 percent of the township to remain open and green, while the remaining 40 percent will be a mix of low to mid-rise condominiums, hotels, a residential village, boutique hotels, and leisure and commercial areas.
One of the draws of Boracay Newcoast is the way it is being planned. A proper road network is already in place and developer GERI ensures that the township is anchored on green practices, such as the use of electric jeeps for transportation, solar LED street lights, use of underground cabling system, installation of detention or siltation tanks and sewage treatment plant (STP), solid waste disposal system, coordination with DENR for the preservation of endangered species of trees, promotion of the use of environmental-friendly construction products, bio-engineering and building techniques.
A cluster of four six-story condominiums called Oceanway is already built with some units occupied by owners or being rented out to vacationers. Being built is the second phase with three condominium buildings. Units range from studio to three-bedroom units.
Jennifer Palmares-Fong, vice president for sales and marketing of Boracay Newcoast, says, “We have a lot of clients who bought units on their first trip to Boracay just because they fell in love with the island. And they are excited at how the entire township or tourism estate will look like upon completion.”
Newcoast is attracting not only residents but also entrepreneurs and business people because it has zones for commercial spaces such as restaurants, bars and cafes.
It has identified “districts” for mixed uses, too. There’s the Hotel District with Megaworld’s own hotel brands Savoy and Belmont. There’s the Boutique Hotel District nearer the sea with lots from 600 sqm. to be developed into boutique hotels by new players or White Beach owners who want to expand their business.
There is the Shophouse District that’s both a residential and commercial development where owners can put up commercial shops at the lower floors and have the top floors reserved for their residence. Lots here start at 300 sqm.
The Newcoast Village in an exclusive vacation-inspired subdivision and includes amenities such as parks, pocket gardens and grill areas. Lots range from 250 to 375 sqm.
Boracay Newcoast has three coves and a beautiful, white-sand beach that’s a quarter of a kilometer long. Just looking at the pristine blue waters is enough to make you want to stay in Boracay forever.